As a market research intern, you will have the opportunity to work in a variety of different industries, depending on the organization you are interning for. However, there are several common duties and responsibilities that most market research interns can expect to perform. In this article, we'll outline some of the most common duties and responsibilities of a market research intern.
1. Conduct research: The primary duty of a market research intern is to conduct research on various topics related to the industry or market in which the organization operates. This could include tasks such as analyzing market trends, studying consumer behavior, and researching new products and services.
2. Assist with data collection: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be responsible for assisting with data collection tasks. This could include tasks such as conducting surveys, performing interviews, and collecting data from secondary sources such as market reports and government publications.
3. Assist with data analysis: Market research interns may also be responsible for assisting with data analysis tasks, such as running reports, analyzing data trends, and identifying areas for improvement.
4. Assist with report writing: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be involved in assisting with report writing tasks. This could include tasks such as developing research reports, summarizing findings, and presenting research findings to stakeholders.
5. Assist with project management: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be involved in assisting with project management tasks, such as developing project plans, monitoring project progress, and ensuring that project timelines are met.
6. Assist with data visualization: Market research interns may also be involved in assisting with data visualization tasks, such as creating charts and graphs to help stakeholders better understand research findings.
7. Assist with client management: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be involved in assisting with client management tasks, such as communicating research findings to clients, addressing client concerns, and developing client relationships.
8. Assist with marketing and sales: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be involved in assisting with marketing and sales tasks. This could include tasks such as developing marketing materials, conducting market research, and assisting with sales presentations.
9. Assist with database management: Market research interns may also be responsible for assisting with database management tasks, such as organizing and storing data, ensuring that data is accurate, and developing database management policies and procedures.
10. Other tasks as assigned: As with any internship, market research interns may be asked to perform a variety of other tasks as needed. This could include tasks such as running errands, assisting with office tasks, or assisting with other market research-related projects.
In addition to these specific duties, market research interns will also need to possess a range of skills and personal attributes, including:
1. Strong analytical skills: Market research interns must be able to analyze data and make informed decisions based on that data.
2. Attention to detail: Working in market research requires a high level of attention to detail, as even small mistakes can have significant consequences.
3. Strong communication skills: Market research interns must be able to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, including clients, research participants, and other market research professionals.
4. Ethical behavior: Market research interns must adhere to strict ethical standards and act with integrity at all times.
5. Flexibility: Working in market research can be unpredictable, and market research interns must be able to adapt to changing circumstances and take on new tasks as needed.
6. Time management skills: Market research interns must be able to manage their time effectively in order to complete tasks efficiently and meet deadlines.
7. Teamwork: Working in market research often requires collaboration with others, and market research interns must be able to work effectively as part of a team.
8. Technological proficiency: Market research involves the use of a variety of analytical tools.
Let's face it student jobs are tough to get, you are competing against people that have work experience and are looking for a full time job. But you can find part time jobs for students. Ideally you want to find an internship because that will give you work experience in your chosen field. Jobs for students typically pay less than those of a full time employee, there are less benefits as well. But the benefit to you is immense. It's competititive, but don't distress, search student jobs and summer internships in accounting and get your career started on the right path!