If you are majoring in Film you should apply for a summer internship to gain valuable work experience and apply the skills that you learned in your classes.
As a film intern, you will have the opportunity to work in a variety of different areas of the film industry, depending on the organization you are interning for. However, there are several common duties and responsibilities that most film interns can expect to perform. In this article, we'll outline some of the most common duties and responsibilities of a film intern.
1. Assist with pre-production tasks: One of the primary duties of a film intern is to assist with pre-production tasks. This could include tasks such as script coverage, research, location scouting, and casting.
2. Assist with production tasks: Depending on the organization you are interning for, you may be involved in assisting with production tasks. This could include tasks such as assisting on set, managing equipment, and coordinating with crew members.
3. Assist with post-production tasks: Film interns may also be involved in assisting with post-production tasks, such as editing, sound design, and visual effects.
4. Attend screenings and film festivals: Film interns may be required to attend screenings and film festivals in order to provide feedback and assist with promotional activities.
5. Assist with administrative tasks: Film interns may also be responsible for assisting with administrative tasks related to the operation of a film production company or organization. This could include tasks such as answering phones, responding to emails, scheduling appointments, and maintaining records.
6. Other tasks as assigned: As with any internship, film interns may be asked to perform a variety of other tasks as needed. This could include tasks such as running errands, assisting with office tasks, or assisting with other film-related projects.
In addition to these specific duties, film interns will also need to possess a range of skills and personal attributes, including:
1. Strong organizational skills: Film interns must have excellent organizational skills and be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
2. Attention to detail: Working in film requires a high level of attention to detail, as even small mistakes can have significant consequences.
3. Strong communication skills: Film interns must be able to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, including filmmakers, producers, and other film industry professionals.
4. Ethical behavior: Film interns must adhere to strict ethical standards and act with integrity at all times.
5. Flexibility: Working in film can be unpredictable, and film interns must be able to adapt to changing circumstances and take on new tasks as needed.
6. Time management skills: Film interns must be able to manage their time effectively in order to complete tasks efficiently and meet deadlines.
7. Teamwork: Working in film often requires collaboration with others, and film interns must be able to work effectively as part of a team.
8. Creativity: Film interns must be creative and have the ability to think outside the box when working on film-related projects.
9. Technical proficiency: Film interns must be proficient in film production software and other technical tools used in the film industry.
10. Cultural competence: Film interns must be able to work effectively with filmmakers and other film industry professionals from diverse cultural backgrounds and understand how cultural factors may impact film preferences and needs.
Let's face it student jobs are tough to get, you are competing against people that have work experience and are looking for a full time job. But you can find part time jobs for students. Ideally you want to find an internship because that will give you work experience in your chosen field. Jobs for students typically pay less than those of a full time employee, there are less benefits as well. But the benefit to you is immense. It's competitive, but don't distress, search student jobs and summer internships in film and get your career started on the right path!